Did you know that everyday drinks and foods may erode your teeth. Erosion is loss of tooth enamel caused by frequent dietary acid attack.
Examples of drinks with high acidity levels include ‘Alcopops’, cola fizzy drinks and fruit juice. Some sports drinks have ingredients that can cause erosion too.
Fruit is great as part of a balanced diet but because they contain natural sugars you need to make sure that you follow a few simple steps to help keep your teeth happy.
- Try to drink and eat acidic things at mealtimes only
- Use a straw to keep drinks away from your teeth
- Leave some time between eating and brushing your teeth – an hour would be good
- Consider chewing sugar-free gum to neutralise acids
- Cheese and milk at the end of your meal can cancel out dietary acids
- Use a fluoride toothpaste and spit not rinse so you leave some on your teeth.